These Breakfast Egg Muffins are a portable breakfast, which makes them great when you need to get out the house early, but still have breakfast. They keep for a few days in the fridge and taste even better the next day and can be easily reheated.
Use Omega-3 enriched eggs to increase the nutritional value of this recipe.
Test the egg is fresh by putting it in a bowl of water. If it lays on its side on the bottom, it is fresh and if it stands upright on the bottom, it is ok, but needs to be eaten as soon as possible. However, if it floats to the top then do not eat it.
How do you stop egg muffins sticking?
Spraying oil on the muffin tin before pouring the egg mixture in may help to stop the muffins sticking.
Also, you could use muffin cases. These help you easily pop them out when they come out of the oven.
How long can you store egg muffins for in the fridge?
Cool the Breakfast Egg Muffins and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. To reheat, put the muffins in a microwave for a minute, or on a baking sheet in the oven (about Gas Mark 5/200C) for about 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
Can you store them in the freezer?
Yes. Let them cool and then put them in individual freezer bags to freeze them and then in a larger bag (so they don't stick together). Defrost overnight in the fridge. They can be eaten cold, once defrosted or reheated, as above. The flavours taste even better the next day.
Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 12 Eggs
- 2 teaspoon Dried Mixed Herbs
- Black Pepper
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes
- 30 g Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Handfuls Spinach
- Pre-Heat the Oven to Gas Mark 6, 200C, 400F.
- Wipe some Olive Oil around the empty moulds in the Muffin Tray.
- Beat Eggs in a large measuring jug.
- Add Dried Mixed Herbs and a small amount of Salt and Black Pepper to the Eggs and mix well.
- Quarter Cherry Tomatoes.
- Finely grate Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese.
- Lay a couple of Spinach Leaves and a quartered Cherry Tomato in each Muffin Tray mould.
- Pour the Egg mixture into each Muffin Tray mould, about ¾ of the way up.
- Place the Muffin Tray on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the Muffin Tray and bake for another 10 minutes.