Thinking of throwing out all the flesh from your Halloween pumpkin after carving it? Think again. Why not make your own Pumpkin Puree?
The flesh can be pureed. You can use it in meals and baking to add a sweet flavour. No more searching on supermarket shelves for cans of Pumpkin Puree.
Try making Pumpkin Macaroni Cheese with the puree from your Halloween pumpkin.
How do I store pumpkin puree?
You can store the pumpkin puree in the fridge for 2-3 days.
How do I freeze pumpkin puree?
Pumpkin Puree can be frozen best in a silicone freezer bag. Ideally, it's best to freeze it in portions you will need it in so there's no waste. After all, the main reason for this recipe is to reduce waste. Spread it thinly in the freezer bag so it will defrost quicker in the fridge.
- 1 Pumpkin
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180C.
- Make cuts all over the Pumpkin.
- Place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven for an hour, turning it round halfway.
- Remove from the oven and slice in two. If the flesh does not feel soft enough, place the two halves back in the oven for 10 minutes at a time, until it is done.
- When it is cooked, allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove the seeds and stringy bits.
- Scoop only the flesh into a food processor.
- Process the flesh until you achieve a puree.
- This recipe produced 530g of puree from a 2.8kg Pumpkin.