Turkey Bolognese using turkey mince is a great substitute for the beef mince, if you still want meat, but with less saturated fat.
What Goes Well With This?
Add crumbled feta to the top. It will add an extra saltiness and goes well in tomato based dishes
A splash of Worcestershire Sauce in your Turkey Bolognese is always a welcome accompaniment to add a little extra kick. You can add a splash while cooking or, if there are members of your family who don't like it, add as an accompaniment.
What Flavour Does Worcestershire Sauce Add?
Worcestershire Sauce has a sweet, vinegary flavour with a mild spiciness to it.
A vegetable stock cube added to the spaghetti cooking water adds more flavour. Although, be careful of adding extra salt from the cube into your meal.
Transfer the spaghetti to the Bolognese pan, letting some spaghetti cooking water go with it. This starchy water will help thicken the Bolognese further, as you mix the two together for a few minutes before serving.
What can you use instead of Worcestershire sauce as an accompaniment?
Not everyone likes Worcestershire Sauce. I would suggest adding the following alternatives as an accompaniment, rather than adding to the cooking process. Some alternatives include:
Balsamic Vinegar has a sweet, rich taste. It's not as sharp as regular vinegar. Try to get a good quality one, that is more syrupy.
Soy Sauce and honey give the sweet and sour taste that Worcestershire Sauce gives. You may want to play around with the proportions to suit your palette.
- Chop Onion, crush Cloves Garlic, wipe and slice Button Mushrooms and peel and grate Carrots.
- Dry fry Turkey Thigh Mince in a large saute or frying pan until browned (you may need to get rid of excess water with a ladle).
- Add the Onion and Garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Mushrooms and Carrots and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add Mixed Herbs.
- Make Chicken Stock and add Yeast Extract (if using) to the Chicken Stock and mix well.
- Add the Chicken Stock to the Mince.
- Add Tinned Tomatoes to the Mince.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes
- Cook Dried Wholewheat Spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Add the cooked Spaghetti and Black Pepper to the Mince and mix well until the Mince is ready and the sauce is reduced enough.
- Serve with a sprinkling of feta (not included in the nutrition for this recipe).